May 29, 2012

Khul-ja-Sim-Sim !!!


IIM-B Here We Come !!!

Orientation Day 1 :-
I woke up @ 5 am and was ready to reach the IIM-B as a student. Feeling was quite different as never before with 100 of questions jumping inside my top floor- What to expect? Who all will be my batch mates? How will be the Profs., seniors ? Will I be able to balance my personal & study life? How I need to plan my travel to-and-fro between home & IIMB campus ... My thoughts were quite turbulent until I reached the gates of THE IIM-B. Once we (Me & Mayank) were inside the gates, it was an altogether different world. Suddenly we stopped hearing all sorts of traffic noise and one could hear the nature and feel the calm environment surrounding us. We stepped out of car, confused were to go, suddenly saw a smiling face of one of our seniors, who was coming towards us. (Later came to know his name - Vijay). Vijay guided us to MDC for breakfast, which was followed up by checking in the hostel. As soon as I entered the room , I felt as if I have entered the hostel life again.

We had a few inspirational talks by the likes of Mr. Anjan Lahiri (president of I.T. services, MindTree), Mr. Rajesh Pandit and Prof. N. M. Agarwal. Also we had one of the quite different views by Mr. Mansoor Khan, Entrepreneur and Film director of Kayamat Se Kayamat Tak, Jo Jeeta Wahin Sikandar, Akele Hum Akele Tum, who shared his views w.r.t. to Oil Peak and 3rd Curve.

And yes, we had interactions with our seniors (Few of the names I remember - Anu, Prabir, Maitreya, Harsha, Gokul, Radha, Vijay, and others...sorry in case I missed you). Seems like I had abundant names to remember and I failed to recall all - Short Term Memory Loss . We were given some good gyaans and later were greeted with 3 books - Accounting, Strategic Management & Microeconomics. Lot of experiences were shared by senior PGSEMers, they also arranged for games like Dump Charades, 1 minute non-sense talk, Skit, etc. And yes, not to miss late night group assignments being given after midnight to be submitted before 8 am next morning. Which all together was a fun. And every tasks was going to be counted for the HOUSE CUP and the group name for us was "KLONAM". At midnight, while we were working on our assignments and having coffee, I got the unique chance which not many of new joinees get - chance to shot your seniors - which I myself jumped in to shot all of them at once. Below is the shot

And yes, even though the assignment was for us and it was late, they were sharing their experiences even late night, which really shows their passion to help us. (Had I been in there place probably I would have ran to sleep). This is the time I realized that if we are working on assignments late at night, they are also not sleeping early either and really have put a lot of effort for us in there busy schedule. Love you all seniors ...

Orientation Day 2 :-
Wow !!! we were awake till 3 am and then finally decided to go for sleep. And yes just to add I got a great group too - Kumar Guhan, Latish, Madhu & Madhur - "METAMINDS". All of them are really sweet, I pulled Guhan's legs that he need to wakeup early and review too, but he was really cool as always. I woke at 6 am and was ready for the Day 2. We got chance to attend "Drishtikon 2012 : CSITM Annual conference". Many papers were presented also we got some good insights from Rajesh and Prof. Sourav Mukherji. I have always noticed Prof. N. M. Agarwal to be very very humble, e.g. he will always ask others to also give momento to distinguished guests as well as ask PGSEMer 2012 to light lamps.

We also were lucky to hear famous people from different facets of life (Mr. Vir Kashyap from http://babajob.com/, Ms. Gunjan Krishna  an IAS officer) - I was literally spell bound by the amount work being done by her as well as  knowledge she had, Mr Singh from DataWind - Aakash Tablets, Mr. Anand Sudarshan from Manipal Educations). We got some enlightened by Mr. Bhavish Sood from Gartner. I really apologise not to remember all the names properly, but can't help as we (I believe most of us) were busy trying to keep remembering names of our batch mates. All new faces and names - and another problem of mapping correct name & face... He He...

Battle for House Cup started again in the evening, till now we were the top group - KLONAM. All the four houses competed in various games like Cricket, Table Tennis, Basket Ball and Badminton followed by Treasure Hunt. Doing a treasure hunt in such a big campus at night when most of us are confused with all the paths with every surroundings which look similar was definitely not a cake walk. But surprise was still awaiting us. Another set of assignment - this time a case study that too close to 20 pages of case. We all (MetaMinds) were mentally prepared to be awake whole night again. We completed the assignment and went for our rooms.

Orientation Day 3 :-
Thanks to Madhur who woke me up on time, otherwise I would have definitely missed the case study class by Prof. B. Mahadevan. To my surprise, we were greeted by our seniors with a surprise quiz followed by Case study Introduction. We had a really interesting and very interactive session with Prof. Mahadevan. Though while being in class it looked normal but when I look back now, I can really feel the difference all the learning I still remember and also the content covered in that small duration was huge. After the session was over, we were given a bonded booklet for strategic management. Seems like next 2.5 years is going to be very exciting and very very busy. And as usual we had our seniors and they as usual had some more info for us along with academic information - we need to treat them by organizing an event called "Pehel". We were ready to leave the college after lunch. We also had elections and we choose a Class Representative too.

When I look back I felt as if I have been there in campus for a month or two. I am in totally Awe after getting just a glimpse of 2.5 days, just wondering what we will be 3 years later once molded by this fine institution. And yes, I don't regret trying to get into PGSEM year after year, from 2008 till now, finally I have reached the place I wanted to be in. The doors of learning have opened for Me !!! Khul - ja - Sim - Sim !!! Its up to us how much wealth of knowledge we can carry back and apply !!!

2 comments:

MURARI BHARTIA said...

You determined to get into the best b school....You dedicated your time to study for its preparation..you were disciplined with your flexibilty and balancing your professional...family and study time...You deserve this...
Success mantra is to follow this rule D^3 i.e D*D*D=Determination*Dedication*Discipline
this is the learning I got from you...bravo !!!

trialblazer.ohm said...

feeling good reminiscing the orientation part!!!
Had good time with KLONAM \m/.